Minor International Introduces Portfolio of Luxury Residences in Coastal Destinations
The market for holiday properties remains vibrant: according to Knight Frank’s Global Buyer Survey undertaken in 2020 across 44 countries, over 26 percent of respondents said they were more likely to buy a second home as a result of the pandemic.
Encouraged by the rise of remote working, an increasing number of people living in major cities now split their time between home and a long stay elsewhere – in a holiday destination or a second home. At the same time, those looking to gain investment property returns are mindful of pent-up rental demand as domestic and international borders reopen in Southeast Asia and beyond.
“In countries like Thailand and Malaysia, coastal destinations remain popular in the luxury real estate market,” says Mr. Micah Tamthai, Chief Operating Officer, Minor Lifestyle. “In the past 18 months we have observed positive trends not just in well-trodden markets like Phuket and Samui in Thailand, but also in lesser-known locations like Desaru Coast in Peninsular Malaysia.”
While beachfront residences are highly desirable as a second home or investment property, there are certain considerations aspiring investors should be mindful of.
Location as a factor in value and capital growth
In a coastal destination, homes with direct beach access tend to be much more limited in quantity, and are more likely to hold or appreciate in value.
Less-developed locations may also experience significant long-term capital growth, so first movers in emerging destinations stand to benefit from future gains and land appreciation.
In the short run, however, beachfront properties typically command higher rental returns if they are located within easy reach of major cities with well-developed infrastructure.
Management and maintenance for peace of mind
Investors seeking hassle-free coastal property ownership may also consider looking in resort residential developments.
Seaside homes are exposed to harsh coastal climates, and ensuring good, stable rental returns require the kind of round-the-clock maintenance offered by these developments – also commonly known as branded residences.
Resort-managed properties also offer resort amenities ranging from swimming pools and restaurants to private wellness and dining services, which serve to increase their appeal and competitiveness in the holiday rental market.
The past 18 months have underscored the importance of nature and space, wellness and wellbeing, and quality time spent with loved ones.
Within the luxury real estate market in Southeast Asia, this has translated into emerging buyer preference for landed, single-family properties in family-friendly settings: homes that accommodate multi-generational families, where outdoor space and diversions abound and living spaces are customisable to fit the needs of a growing family.
Coastal destination pick: Phuket
- Good infrastructure, beautiful weather and a vibrant culture put Thailand among the most popular destinations in Southeast Asia for second homes.
- Phuket is the largest and most developed island in Thailand, and the annual Mastercard Global Destination Cities Index ranked it one of the 20 most popular with international visitors in 2019.
- The island is a major travel hub, with an international airport that offers easy access to the rest of Asia, the Middle East and Europe, as well as international-standard marinas with maintenance facilities and deep-water access to accommodate boats and yachts of all sizes.
- Phuket boasts myriad leisure activities ranging from championship golf to diving to sailing, as well as world-class hotels and resorts.
- With international-standard healthcare and an established wellness culture, Phuket is also at the heart of the region’s burgeoning medical spa industry.
Property highlights: Avadina Hills by Anantara
Nestled on a secluded hillside overlooking the Andaman Sea, Avadina Hills by Anantara offers 14 private pool villas ranging in size from 2,452 to 3,373 square metres. Management, maintenance and services are provided 24/7 by the adjacent five-star Anantara Layan Phuket Resort and its residential team.
Leisure facilities at the resort include a serviced private beach, infinity swimming pools, a fully-equipped fitness centre, tennis court, Muay Thai boxing ring, yoga and Pilates studios, and the award-winning Anantara Spa. Culinary offerings include Thai and international all-day dining and a specialty grill restaurant.
Opening in December is the resort’s new Active Zone comprising an outdoor gym, rock climbing wall, surf skate field, boxing ring, tennis court, lakeside pool and kids’ pool, as well as Beach House by Anantara, a new three-floor venue combining a contemporary poolside restaurant, pop-up fine dining and a rooftop bar with panoramic ocean views.
The development was recently named Best Luxury Housing Development (Phuket) and Best Housing Development (Thailand) at PropertyGuru’s Thailand Property Awards.
Coastal destination pick: Desaru Coast
- Located along a pristine 17-kilometre beachfront facing the South China Sea in Johor Darul Ta’zim, Desaru Coast is a rising star among Malaysia’s tourism developments.
- Time magazine included Desaru Coast in its 2021 list of World’s Greatest Places – the only Malaysian destination to make the prestigious annual list. The once-sleepy coastal destination was lauded as “an ambitious new resort area offering some of Malaysia’s most coveted luxury bolt-holes”.
- The destination has well-developed transport infrastructure: it is within easy reach from Singapore and Kuala Lumpur by land and through its own international airport. The forthcoming Desaru Coast Ferry Terminal will connect the destination to Singapore’s Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal.
- World-class family-friendly amenities, including golfing at The Els Club’s two championship courses and family fun at Adventure Waterpark – one of the largest waterparks in the world, are right on the doorstep.
- The location’s rich biodiversity lends itself to a variety of natural pastimes, from eco-tours and walking, hiking and bird watching opportunities at the Sungai Belungkor Forest Reserve – home to a quarter of the world’s mangrove species, to scenic coastal cycling trips to Sedili or to Batu Layar Beach, as well as kitesurfing, sport fishing and other watersports off Desaru Coast Beach.
Property highlights: Anantara Desaru Coast Residences
Anantara Desaru Coast Residences is a luxury community of 20 three- and four-bedroom seaside pool villas, each designed as a luxurious family-friendly sanctuary, with a serene private infinity pool as the focal point. Beachfront villas are adorned with lush green lawns, highlighting panoramic views of the South China Sea and the resort’s beach only steps away.
As a branded residential development, Anantara Desaru Coast Residences offers the comfort and permanence of home coupled with world-class management, maintenance and amenities provided by the five-star Anantara Desaru Coast Resort & Villas.
Owners and residents enjoy full access to multi award-winning gourmet restaurants, spa and recreational facilities on their doorstep, as well as private, on-demand services from the resort’s chefs, sommeliers, butlers and wellness practitioners.
Avadina Hills by Anantara is available for private ownership from THB 347 million, with freehold title available for Thai citizens. For more information, please visit www.avadinahills.com. A private viewing can be arranged by contacting +66 85 484 8752 or [email protected].
To inquire about Anantara Desaru Coast Residences, available for purchase at a starting price of MYR 7.5 million, please visit www.anantaradesaru-residences.com. Alternatively, a private viewing can be arranged by contacting the team on +60 19 241 2296 or at [email protected].
About Minor International
Minor International (MINT) is a global company focused on three core businesses: hospitality restaurants and lifestyle brands distribution. MINT is a hotel owner, operator and investor with a portfolio of 530 hotels under the Anantara, Avani, Oaks, Tivoli, NH Collection, NH Hotels, nhow, Elewana, Marriott, Four Seasons, St. Regis, Radisson Blu and Minor International brands in 55 countries across Asia Pacific, the Middle East, Africa, the Indian Ocean, Europe, South and North America. MINT is also one of Asia’s largest restaurant companies with over 2,300 outlets system-wide in 26 countries under The Pizza Company, The Coffee Club, Riverside, Benihana, Thai Express, Bonchon, Swensen’s, Sizzler, Dairy Queen and Burger King. MINT is one of Thailand’s largest distributors of lifestyle brands and contract manufacturers. Its brands include Anello, Bodum, Bossini, Brooks Brothers, Charles & Keith, Esprit, Etam, Joseph Joseph, OVS, Radley, Scomadi, Zwilling J.A. Henckels and Minor Smart Kids.
For more information, please visit www.minor.com.
Anantara is a luxury hospitality brand for modern travellers, connecting them to genuine places, people and stories through personal experiences, and providing heartfelt hospitality in the world’s most exciting destinations. The collection of distinct, thoughtfully designed luxury hotels and resorts provides a window through which to journey into invigorating new territory, curating personal travel experiences.
From cosmopolitan cities to desert sands to lush islands, Anantara connects travellers to the indigenous, grounds them in authentic luxury, and hosts them with passionate expertise. The portfolio currently boasts over 40 stunning hotels and resorts located in Thailand, the Maldives, Indonesia, Vietnam, China, Cambodia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Mozambique, Zambia, the UAE, Qatar, Oman, Tunisia, Portugal and Spain, with a pipeline of future properties across Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Europe.
For more information on Anantara Hotels, Resorts & Spas, please visit www.anantara.com.
Hwee Peng Yeo
Executive Vice President
Glodow Nead Communications
Director of Marketing, Real Estate